Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Buttermilk Pie.

I've tried a new Texas recipe this week, called Buttermilk pie. It's a very interesting pie. Not normal, but pretty good. It's sort of like a sweet custard pie, with tart berries on top. If you want to try something different, this is the pie to make.


Please welcome-
A pie crust.  3 eggs.  Vanilla.  Butter.  Brown sugar. flour. Sugar. Buttermilk & Raspberries. - oh joy!
This pie is pretty easy. All the time pretty much goes into the pie crust. The filling is just a matter of when to put it all in.







When I finished, THIS is what the filling looked like! I was mortified! I frantically looked back over the recipe making sure I didn't do anything wrong, and when I found that I did everything exactly according to the recipe...I was still sure it was NOT supposed to look like this. I was very sad, and decided I might as well cook the thing and feed it to the chickens in stead of just throwing it away.  I put it in the oven...
....and it turned out like this! I was so over-joyed! It was perfectly cooked and the custard set up wonderfully. What a surprise!

Then I topped it with our fresh raspberries from our garden and sprinkled some powdered sugar over that. Wa-la. A beautiful pie!
Putting it on the plate is the best part. You slice into that beautiful masterpiece, and feel all the pride and joy of displaying your labors onto a plate.

No comments: