Thursday, January 26, 2012

One of my favorite things-

Flowers-- definitely on one of my "favorite things" list!
Even though I don't like flowers because of what they "mean" or anything, it was really interesting reading about 'floriography' and what Wikipedia had to say on flowers-
flowers have long been admired and used by humans to beautify their environment, but also as objects of romance, ritual, religion, medicine and as a source of food.

Many flowers have important symbolic meanings in Western culture. The practice of assigning meanings to flowers is known as floriography. Some of the more common examples include:
  • Red roses are given as a symbol of love, beauty, and passion.
  • Poppies are a symbol of consolation in time of death. In the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia and Canada, red poppies are worn to commemorate soldiers who have died in times of war.
  • Irises/Lily are used in burials as a symbol referring to "resurrection/life". It is also associated with stars (sun) and its petals blooming/shining. 
Daisies are a symbol of innocence. 


--You should look at all of them. It's actually quite interesting. But, this is not the reason I love flowers so much. To me, they are a symbol of life, color, and beauty. Life-because they grow, and are numerous. Color-because most of them are full of color. And then, Beauty- because most of them are unique and beautiful in their own ways. Even though they are all 'flowers' they all hold their own identity and fragrance. Some of my favorite flowers are- Buttercups, cherry blossoms, baby's breath, roses, and daisies. Yes, they are the simple ones, but I love them non-the-less. I love red roses best of all, then secondly, I like to (*smiles*) pick the petals off of the daisies and buttercups in the field. Flowers simply make me swell up with happiness and joy. They are such a happy thing. Do you love flowers more than you do the chocolates that come with them? --just joking! ( if only chocolates grew on roses...then I'd be in heaven.)

Flowers will always be one of my most favorite things.








Thank God for flowers!

No comments: