Monday, October 18, 2010

If you fly...you die.

I did not get all of my pictures in order here, so bear with me.


I know it's blurry. And it makes me so mad too, because it would have been a great picture! It was hard to get a nice photo, because I could not take a picture, (which needed a flash at that time of morning) until they shot, so I had to be ready really fast.


Bringing back his shot. -love this photo!



I like the fact that he, the hunter, is blurry behind the in focus grasses.



Keeping one eye open. Make it two.

While Papa was retrieving one of our ducks, I stepped outside the blind to take a photo of the rising sun. And, Man, was it pretty! I loved the tall trees too.


shotgun shells


This was actually on our way to the blind...in the dark. It seemed like it took half an hour to get there, but really only took five. Maybe I was a little too tired. :o)




I know this is sort of a weird picture...but in some ways I like it.


See the duck in the background? Pretty neat if you ask me.


Always ready.


Caitlin turns white at the sight of a duck.


Cracking jokes while waiting for it to be time to shoot.





After a while of sitting there, I found this little fella crawling on my boots. I know it's a moth. But I liked it's antennas, they are really pretty.




Walking back.




Hunters. That's who we are. And I am proud to say, I love every minute of it. :o)

This was going to be at the top of the post, so just imagine with me a minute, and let's say that it was. :o)
At 5:00am in the morning all of the guys crowded around what I call, the "hunters shack." (where you pick your blinds)
Caitlin and I stayed in the van for the most part. Why? Because it was warm....*smile*



And these are the Ducks! We shot more than this...but we did not find around 2-3. We got 6 coots, Which are DUCKS! (Don't listen to people who say they are not classified ducks. They have the bill, the feathers, and the duck feet, which all belong to a....duck. )  And we also shot two Mallards.

Thanks be to God for creating ducks, for man to shoot.

3 comments:

Michael Berkompas said...

Read this: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Coot/lifehistory

Why were you guys shooting size 6 ammo? Don't you think that is a little small?

The coots don't look very edible...

JessicaCynthia said...

Okay, okay. Coots are not ducks. You convinced me. :o)
And I don't know why we were shooting with size 6. I think those were Caitlins...However small they might be, they still got ducks, and that's what counts!!

....Yes, I agree. Those coots do NOT look very edible.
Are you guys going hunting again this week? I think my dad and Marcus are going in the morning...and then some of us are going again on Sat. So, that should be fun. We will have a better blind, and Lord willing, get more ducks. :o)

Caitlin Koch said...

My mistake. The birds we shot were not coots but have been identified as non-breeding adult pied billed grebes. They eat fish, crayfish and aquatic insects. Their bill prohibites them from shovelling in the mud making their meat preferrable to any ducks.